12.17.2013

Fabrics Chosen!

I have to say, honestly, I am suffering right now from burn out. It does seem to happen this time of year because:

1. It's cold and dark out and I don't want to leave me bed, let alone my house, and my pjs are so comfy.
2. I've been quilting like a maniac and my back and chest need a rest.
3. I've quilted so many Christmas gifts for my customers, I don't have time or energy to make my own.
4. My brain just needs a reset.

But I think I've found the cure! I was cleaning my house last week and decided to treat myself to a few "me" minutes and sit down and read the new APQ magazine...

That's when I saw it! Have you seen it? If not, check it out here!

I cannot tell you the last time I made a quilt just to make it. (Now I know this is my job and all, but lately it's been turning into work and less fun, so I'm sorry if I sound like I'm complaining) When I saw Moda Lissa's quilt I immediately had to jump into my stash and make this quilt, like YESTERDAY.

Well, reality hit and there were still Christmas quilts to finish, so I kinda put this project on the back burner and moved on.

A couple days later, much quilting progress was made and I happened to have to go to the quilt shop while running errands. (I swear I did, I had things to drop off and pick up for customers, pinky promise) I was chatting and decided I had a few minutes to spare and then I got in trouble... I came home with these and a plan:
 Sorry for the slightly over exposed pictures... You see Ben gets up at 5, which means I'm usually up at 5 and I couldn't wait long enough for the sun to come out before I could get better photos. I was a woman on a mission! Plus it's NE Ohio in winter, we really don't get sun this time of year, more gray than anything.
 I will definitely add to this with some of my stash (like the two upper left pieces) but this is what I picked for the chains... I'm planning to mix them all up and have the chains super scrappy.
 These will be the accent fabrics for the surrounds...
 And this is the start of the backgrounds. With another small pile from my stash started (not pictured).
I think it looks very Ruby Blue and bright and refreshing. Just what I need. I really only went to get more backgrounds (You never seem to have enough in your stash) but then the new Jinny Beyer batiks were there and then wouldn't this look good too and I was done for. I was planning to start cutting yesterday but I had to organize my stash and sewing room a bit before I felt I could add to the mess.

I'm all in that clear out the bad and deal with what needs dealt with before starting something new phase. I just feel cluttered and out of sorts and I did pretty good so I think if I still feel perky after quilting today I might start cutting. Or if not a hand quilting project is still calling my name.

I've been hand quilting for an hour or so each day, but when it's dark it gets hard to see on some of the fabrics and I have to try again. It's been nice to have that as something to do and look forward to as well.

I'm so excited to start this quilt and hopefully by next week I will have a block or two done. I'm debating on doing one block at a time, or all the pieces first, or I dunno. I'll see what happens when I get there!

So do you like my colors? Have any suggestions on how to proceed? Any relaxing tips to share? I'm all ears!

If you're interested in making this quilt, be sure to check out the Feb. 2014 Issue of American Patchwork & Quilting (on newsstands now) and all of the information is in there! Otherwise, you can check it all out here on Moda Lissa's blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the conversation going! Leave your comments here:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...