6.21.2011

NQA Part 2

Simply Beautiful. That's the only way I can describe this batch of quilts...

Have I ever mentioned how much I want to make a wholecloth quilt??? I love the idea of simple beauty and showing off quilting in this way. There's also great ideas on using your favorite lap quilts as an accent to rooms that have wholecloth quilts on beds - by switching the smaller quilt and a couple accessories you can change the look of a room in minutes!
 There were small ones...
 And colored ones...
 Look at the feathers on that one! I wish I could make mine look like that... I guess I have to practice some more...
 There were different styles used, sometimes all in one quilt...

 And scalloped edges on larger quilts (you'll have to click on this one to make it bigger to see the details)
 And the biggest shocker of all - this is a wholecloth quilt with a pieced back - as in the quilt top is on the back... but the quilting is stunning, no wonder she entered it this way!
 I love the idea on this one and I plan on using it soon - this is a wholecloth quilt. I promise. It's quilted with a darker thread in sections that give it a look similar to applique - minus the applique. This was definitely a moment for me of "Why didn't I think of that?!"
 And this one... oh, the micro (REALLY micro) stippling that made the bigger quilted pieces and vines stand out even more.
Do it, I dare you - click on this one to see that stippling. Oh, and did you notice the beads in the flowers. I wonder how many yards of thread are in this quilt? Probably too many to count.

So, that's my inspiration for today. I plan on working on my own wholecloth quilt this winter - okay maybe two. One hand quilted and one machine quilted. And maybe if that goes well I might do more. I'll let you know when I start working on those...

I'll be back soon with the last post about the NQA Show with some of the other show stoppers hanging there. They're good, really good. They were hanging at a National Quilt Show for goodness sakes!

Tomorrow I'm off to Shipshewana for the Shipshewana Quilt Festival. Don't forget - I will be at the Moda Bake Shop's 'Come Bake With Us' program at the Farmstead Inn. Stop on by and say hi! Oh, and another thing I'm super excited for - I'll be making my first trip to The Doormouse Quilt Shop in Bettesville, OH on my way home. 5,000 bolts - yep bolts - of fabric calling my name. I think I might be able to find some goodies there. Wish me luck and I'll have pictures to show you when I get home!

1 comment:

  1. OH MY those quilts are unbelievable-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Keep the conversation going! Leave your comments here:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...