8.31.2016

Confessions: Quilter's Have a Life Too

Hi there and welcome to this week's confession. Yes, it's a bit late, but that's how I got the topic. Really there is no real confession this week because the sweet little miss has been having the teething week from hell that ended us at the doctors yesterday with an about to start ear infection. Translation being that not much quilting has been happening around here. Snuggles, cuddles and lots of crying - that's what's been happening instead.

Even though I work from home like a lot of quilters do... Even though my machine is just a jaunt up the stairs and around the corner... My daughter and her needs come first. They have to.

But aside from that, please understand that all quilters and shop owners and small business owners in general have lives too that we try to squeeze in what little time we have left at the end of the day or the end of the week. We still have laundry and grocery shopping to do, bills to pay, dinner to cook, and family to spend time with. And sleep. We need to recharge our batteries.

Just because we can work 24/7 if we need to doesn't mean we want to or can. Sure I could stay up and try to quilt a bit more after everyone goes to bed but why? I'm already going on less sleep than I'd like and I still need to function. If I'm not 100% I'm not going to be able to give 100%...

So, please be considerate when you are lolly gagging around a small business store five minutes before they close because that shop worker would like to go home and have dinner with their family on time or close to it. Please think again the next time you want to call or stop by the house of someone that works from home on a "day off" or late at night. There are times that I would be more than happy to go out of my way to help a client or a friend, but there has to be understanding too. I can be accommodating but I don't like being taken advantage of.

I've had clients say they will swing by late this afternoon to drop off a quilt. Okay. No biggie. We will be home. Then I wait and wait and they show up at 9pm and wake the baby who just fell asleep. Yes it has happened and no I wasn't happy. Again, just because I am home does not mean my home is open for business at all hours of the day. I guess it goes back to the golden rule - if you wouldn't like it to happen to you, then don't do it to others. Just be courteous!

That is all, crabby baby to attend to! Next week I will try to write an actual sewing related post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the conversation going! Leave your comments here:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...