1.20.2015

My super crazy quilt idea...

So you all saw the wonky star quilt... well, the day I finished quilting it, I was determined to make one for myself. And as I do, I was killing some time and browsing Instagram (find me at rubybluequilts) and saw this amazing houndstooth quilt...

Well, I already wanted to make the star quilt, that was a given. But I just couldn't get that houndstooth quilt out of my head either... And then it happened...

Late that night (or early morning, I can't remember) I was up letting Paco out and I was just tired enough that my brain clicked like magic... Combine the two designs!

I spent the next day driving myself crazy trying to figure out how it would work. I started doodling on my graph paper but it was taking too long and wasn't as clean as it needed to be, so I switched to the computer... I first started with this idea and it was okay...

But then I changed up the sizing on the houndstooth and it was Eureka!!!

And then I spent the next week or two thinking about fabrics and sizes and and and... And then I decided to raid my stash and just go scrappy. Oh, and finally bust into my Cotton & Steel stash I've been hoarding. It must've been a really big deal because Ben stopped dead in his tracks during his workout to ask me if I was really ready to break into my C&S Stash. What can I say? He knows his fabrics... (And it's not like I wasn't carrying the bundle around the house petting it when it first arrived... Not that I would do a thing like that...)

So I made a template or two once I decided on the sizing to make sure it would work out right and then I started cutting, and cutting, and cutting.

I have all of the lights and "darks" for the houndstooth portion cut, but  I wanted to use navy blues and black-ish tones for the stars (which will be pieced centers and strip points) and I had next to nothing in my stash. I did have to go out an supplement a bit, but I think I may still need a print or three to feel like there's enough of a mix to get started.

Now this is the super crazy part (if the rest wasn't crazy enough) I'm going to make this one piece at a time cutting and trimming as I go starting in the center and working my way out. It's going to be a long drawn out process, but I'm hoping with the right set-up I can stay organized and love it more and more as I watch it grow... That's the hope...

So, I'm to the point where I think I will make the star centers first and then start with the houndstooth pieces and see how it goes. Not today though. Today I'm taking it easy because my chest pains are back with a vengeance after finishing all these custom quilts lately... That's okay, I'm almost enjoying taking it easy. Paco and I have been a little chummy on the couch and that's fine with me...

So are any of you as crazy as I am to make a quilt like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the conversation going! Leave your comments here:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...