5.28.2013

Almost back

I don't quite have the feeling that I'm "back in the swing of things". As soon as the jet-lag wore off enough that I could get my bearings I realized we are traveling again later this week and I had a ton of stuff I needed to get done.

I've been busy quilting and piecing some new versions of quilts from Seamingly Scrappy for the MAAFRA show next week. I'm almost done piecing the second top and I want to try to get another one done tomorrow... We'll see.

But anywho, how was your weekend? We had a couple nice picnics with family and it was great to just relax, even if for a short time. It was a little chilly around our places so it wasn't the typical "start of summer" we're used to. It was a bit rainy and breezy, but we were still able to enjoy the company.

Growing up, I didn't have a relative that had served for our country and looking back I can honestly say I was blind to the true meaning of Memorial Day. Now that I married the son of a Marine, that has all changed. I was able to talk with my F-I-L yesterday and catch up a bit. He's a truck driver and is on the road quite a bit so we don't get to see each other much, but we can still talk from time to time which is nice.

It's definitely different from the 5 1/2 years he spent driving truck in Iraq. I was just looking through old pictures and found these from when he first went over to Iraq.


We're so glad he made it home safe as well as his twin brother (who also drove truck in Iraq for about a year or so). I know it was rough for him but he made the decision to go and we supported him. He met many fine servicemen and women while he was gone and man other fine citizens who chose to work in a warzone. Sadly, not all of them were able to make it back home to their families.

As much as I would like to think I understand the meaning of Memorial Day, I know I will never truly understand the sacrifices made like those that have lost loved ones. I would like to thank all of those people that chose to make the sacrifices for freedom and pray for the fallen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the conversation going! Leave your comments here:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...