3.08.2013

Homemade Chex Mix

Now for those of you who say you don't like Chex Mix, this is different (MUCH different) than that stuff you get out of a bag.

My MIL made this for my Hubby and his friends waaaaayyyyyyy back when and it was such a shame there was so much left over to snack on ;)


At first you realize it tastes different. Then you realize you love it. And (WARNING) then you'll realize you can't stop eating it!

I promise if you need a quick and awesome snack that will feed an army and doesn't need any special treatment (kept in the fridge, out of the heat, etc.) this is your new go-to snack.

Here's what you'll need:

Chex Cereal (doesn't matter which type: corn, rice, whatever)
Goldfish Crackers
Cheese Its (grab your favorite flavor, Pepper Jack is ours)
Pretzels
Golden Grahams
Mixed Nuts (optional)

I mixed equal parts of each of the cereals/crackers above. I started with the goldfish which was about 4 cups for the small bag (it was the smallest thing I bought) and just measured out the rest of the ingredients to match. I measured them in my large measuring cup (it's really big!) and then poured all of the stuff into a large bowl. Then I mixed it all up and split the mixture into two gallon size storage bags.

Once you split the mixture, you'll add 1/4 bottle of popcorn oil and 1/2 of a ranch dressing packet to each bag. Shake it all up and let it sit for a day or two (the flavor gets better over time) and shake it up every so often turning the bag each time.

After a couple days you will find yourself with heaven in a bowl. I promise! This is one of those types of recipes that is soooo simple and everyone falls in love with it.

I've been on a diet where I'm not supposed to have carbs, especially breads and crackers and Chex Mix, but I couldn't resist this amazing food and I'll admit I had a small handful every day. I couldn't fight the urge and it was sooo worth it. And I'm happy to say I still lost weight! Yippee!

Have you had this before? I'm warning you, once you try it you'll never go back to that bagged stuff again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the conversation going! Leave your comments here:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...