3.27.2013

Getting Back in the Groove

It was so nice to get away, but it seems like it's taking me so long to get back into the groove of things after retreat.

Over the weekend, this was my view:
 It was absolutely gorgeous and I couldn't have asked for anything better. I even got to watch a man with his team of horses plowing some of those fields while we were there!
Basically, our retreat was in a hotel (Carlisle Inn in Walnut Creek, OH) that sits on the top of a hill. Everything in Holmes County is either at the top of a hill, built into a hill, or at the bottom of a hill. Just look:
 This is the view out the front of the hotel. I snapped this just as the sun was starting to set. It amazes me how far you can see!
 Now, in true retreat style, we weren't lacking for snacks. We had everything from chocolate to crackers and fruit and everything in between. Most ladies would get up, have breakfast, sew for awhile, and then do a late lunch/early dinner so you have more time to sew! We could've been here in a blizzard and be perfectly fine!
There were 19 ladies in our group and they worked on all sorts of projects. 
 The lighting in this room is phenomenal! It's wonderful to be able to see what you're working on. Even at 1:30 in the morning...
 The greatest thing about these retreats is the companionship. Sometimes if you're working on a project that you're stuck on, you can bring it here and so many people are willing to give you their tips and tricks or just a second opinion if you need it. Many friendships have been created at our retreats.
 Mom was able to finish her version of Judy Niemeyer's Glacier Star pattern. I love how the colors turned out and as soon as she gets the papers out of it, I'll be quilting it up so you'll see it again soon!
 Karen also was able to finish her Glacier Star, however she came with her own celebration :) Karen had an app on her iPad that made fireworks. She cracks me up, we had such a great time!
And here's Karen's Glacier Star. I love how her colors are much more vibrant, yet are grounded by the earth tones in certain spots. It gives this pattern a whole new look and I can assure you this picture does not do the quilt justice. She did a great job.

Unfortunately I have nothing to show you that I worked on :( I wasn't able to finish a thing while I was there. I made a bunch of blocks for a pattern proto-type, I forgot pieces I needed for the border of another pattern :/ And I wasn't able to finish another project because I completely underestimated the time needed to press all of these little pieces... But it was a few days of nothing but sewing and I'm happy with that. Once I get some of these things finished I'll show them on here, but it might be awhile.

Now it's time to get ready for a few big shows coming up including Spring Market and I have a TON of baby quilts that need to be quilted for the bumper crop of babies around these parts! Speaking of which, gotta go quilt! Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the conversation going! Leave your comments here:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...