7.24.2012

Incredibly Simple Asian Slaw Recipe

My friend Kelley made this recipe for our Quilt Guild picnic last month and it was sooooo wonderful I begged her for the recipe. She graciously gave it to me and I tried it out for the first time on my Husband's family this past weekend for a family potluck.
 Here's what you'll need to make the most amazing Asian Slaw ever:

Dressing:
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 cup oil (I used veggie oil)
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp soy sauce
* Mix these ingredients and chill overnight in the fridge shaking every so often to help mix in sugar.

Topping:
1 cup sunflower seeds
2 pkgs Ramen Noodles (just the noodles, doesn't matter which flavor, you'll toss the seasoning packet) crush the noodles
1/2 cup slivered almonds
* Mix all of the above with a bit of butter or oil and toast in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes in a jelly roll pan mixing once during toasting. Let cool and place in a baggie.

Salad:
1 head bok choy
1 head napa cabbage
* Slice into bite size pieces

Mix all ingredients and toss just before serving. Done!

This makes a ton of food, so heeding Kelley's warning about how much it made, I only made a half batch. The container I used was filled and it's approx. 12"x12"x5". We had about a dozen hungry people there and the picture below is all I had left!
I think they liked it. Even though the topping gets 'not-so-crunchy' after awhile, the dressing works it's magic and the leftovers were wonderful too!

To get a half batch, I used the other half of the napa cabbage in a stir fry earlier in the week and the head of bok choy Ben got was the last one on the shelf and pretty tiny so I used it all. I highly recommend making this for any picnic you're heading to, not only is it easy, but without mayo or that kinda thing it can sit out on hot days without worry! Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the conversation going! Leave your comments here:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...