12.28.2011

Alphabet Stitchery: Farm Animals


I have to say, this was the design that started this whole craze. My best friend was pregnant with her first and we grew up "in the country", so she grew up on a farm. Literally, right now her house is part of a barn - with animals. Animals including her first ever cow she had as a 4H project when we were in 3rd grade. I think Blossom (the cow) will live forever at this point! But, we love her and the goats, horses, pigs, dogs, and whatever else you might find at Katti's house over the years.

So, back to topic - since Katti was pregnant I wanted to make her a quilt with farm animals. I looked and looked, but there weren't that many patterns to choose from and frankly some of the fabric looked a bit creepy if you ask me... So, I made a quilt out of 1930's prints with some applique.
Then this adorable stitchery pattern came into my hands a little later (I will keep this one nameless for reasons below). The blocks were cute but the construction and the quilt itself was horrendous!!! My Mom really wanted to have a cute sample so she asked me to design some blocks for it. We loved it so much that we thought I should draw my own stitchery to go with the blocks and here we are today!

Soooooo, here's the stats (this quilt is a smidge different, but that's why I love it):

Finished size: 40"x48"
Blocks: 24 (10 Stitchery & 14 Pieced)
Finished block size: 10" x 8" (See what I mean?)

Oh, and if I didn't mention it before - all the animals have their own names which are listed in the pattern. Kinda weird, but it was fun! Also, if you are a fan of applique - this pattern already has the pieces set up for use as an applique pattern too! Just think - you could mix and match the two for a really adorable quilt!

All I can say is too stinkin' cute! I kinda want to make another with the applique, but I have all winter to work on that (; Be back soon with more pictures!

p.s. If you have any questions at all or own a shop and are interested in the Alphabet Stitchery patterns, please e-mail me at rubybluequilts (at) gmail (dot) com. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the conversation going! Leave your comments here:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...