7.03.2011

Travels

So, on our way home from Shipshewana, Mom and I had nothing on the schedule. We were done with our commitments, had the whole day ahead of us and no rush to get home. So what did we do?

Well, we had to stop at Lolly's in the Davis Mercantiles!
 That building (yes, all of it including the brick parts) is the Davis Mercantile, home of 23 amazingly unique shops. Sorry the pictures kinds blurry, it was raining  and I tried to take it from inside the car...
 All of the shops from the inside have little storefronts and bright colors that make it look so magical. This is a picture from the 3rd floor (there's 3 floors plus a basement!)
 And I got a better picture of the tree inside the building this time with Mom next to it to show scale...it's huge and runs all the way from the basement floor to the rooftop!
 And they have the cutest displays all over the building, not just in each of the shops...
 This is one of the doors for Lolly's from their porch (which I just discovered). I have a funny story - I was going to take a picture of this porch from the inside, but there was a gentleman sleeping in one of the rocking chairs and I thought it would be mean to take the photo...
 But isn't this just the most cozy porch ever?!
 Along with the Quilt Festival is a Shop Hop, so we had to check it out! Our first stop was Caroline's Cottage Cottons in Rome City, IN. It was about a half hour drive from Shipshewana, but look how adorable it is:
 It's the coziest little shop and Caroline, the owner, is such a doll. Mom and I met Caroline at the trade show we participated in a few weeks prior in Shipshewana, but we had no clue this was her shop...
 There's Caroline cutting up a paisley fabric for me I couldn't leave without owning. If you're in the area, you must stop, it's so adorable.
 Then we had to stop at the Door Mouse in Bettsville, OH. I have heard of the Door Mouse for years, but never had the opportunity to visit. Well, there's 2 stories (kinda) in this barn with 17,000 bolts of fabric in this barn. But, it's in the middle of nowhere.
Literally it's in the middle of a cornfield. It was a neat experience and I left with some good buys, but it's almost too much. There's so much fabric in this shop it's everywhere, it's stacked on the floor in front of the shelves so you can't see most of the fabric on the bottom shelf and I wouldn't recommend it for the claustrophobic. But if you're looking for that perfect fabric that you can't seem to find anywhere else, it'll probably be here or something close to it.

So I shopped and bought some more to add to those stacks I showed you earlier, but I have a few other projects in line ahead of that particular growing bundle...I'm hoping to get to it soon.

I have been sewing so much lately and have been enjoying every minute of it. I actually have the next couple days off still and I'm hoping to finish a quilt top in those days. I'll let you know how that goes.

I hope you're having a great holiday weekend and I'm giving it the good ol' college try here... So far it's working! What are your plans for the weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the conversation going! Leave your comments here:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...