5.05.2011

Small Triumphs

 So this is what I have been up to for a while now and not by choice... I have this "thing" (I'll call it a thing because it's not a disease it's not an infection, just a thing) called Costochondritis where from time to time the cartilage that connects your ribs to your sternum gets inflamed and is quite painful. So I rest and take it easy for a couple days until it goes away. So all the plans I had for quilting last weekend were toast before the weekend began.

This time around it's been worse than it has in a long time so I've been off my game longer than anticipated. I have nothing good to show you for quilting but I do have a discussion...

Small Triumphs - As in knowing your limits to a point. I've heard from several people that the best course of action with anything is to fight small battles. I heard of this awhile ago described in the Rule of 3 - each day only focus on the top 3 things on your to do list and get those done. If you focus on these you'll more than likely get way more done than you imagined and you actually get things done since you're not focusing on the HUGE to do list we all give ourselves.
 So today even though it could only be for a few minutes I tended to these and fertilized them for the Spring...
And gave these little lovelies some sun and TLC. That was #1. #2 was to send out my Quilt Guild's newsletter - done! And #3 was to quilt within my limits. It was only for an hour or so broken up with small breaks in between. But since I only focused on those few things I also was able to work on new pattern designs, take a nap, read some of my book and go grocery shopping.

Basically I want to inspire all of you that even when there's difficulties put in your path, plans get ruined, or you are laid up on your back for a few days there are still Small Triumphs to be had and all is not wasted.

I myself was forgetting this only a few days ago when I thought I should have been better but wasn't. I was angry, depressed and worst of all bored which made matters worse. But then I had to take a step back, relax, breathe and get my bearings.

So it's going to be a few more days before I'm fully back to 100%, but since I took these small victories (however small they are) it's still a victory and I can look ahead and prepare. That way when I am back up and running full speed I can breeze through what should have been done and move on to the next thing - 3 items at a time.

I hope this helped some of you out. Sometimes it's good to have a roadblock of sorts. How do all of you seem to cope with day-to-day difficulties and bumps in the road? Let's just have an open discussion (just leave me a comment) and we can all help each other out. Maybe there's an alternative to what I mentioned above. Maybe another tip or trick you might have up your sleeve. Whatever it is I'd love to hear it.

Have a great weekend and I will hopefully have some quilts to show you next week!

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm very bad about this. I have some arthritis and a few other muscle troubles, but when they're bad, I take another pain pill and just keep working.

    That's not the best option, is it?

    I hate being slowed down so MUCH that I deny it.

    ReplyDelete

Keep the conversation going! Leave your comments here:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...