5.01.2015

Machine Quilting: Little England

One of the greatest parts about my job (and trust me, there are tons of great parts about my job)... I love hearing about the stories of what inspired you to make a quilt or who you're making it for and why.

It really helps me to figure out a plan of attack so I know how to quilt it and how it'll be used because that may change my plan a bit. For instance I will quilt a wall hanging a little differently than a love-use-&-abuse quilt.
 Beth made this quilt in memory of her mom. It was a kit from the Fat Quarter Shop and all of the fabrics feature England-themed motifs. There are double-decker buses and royal crowns and Union Jacks and and and...

Not sure whether this quilt would drape over the back of a couch or be a wall hanging eventually, we decided to quilt it with chevrons to emphasize the long squares and give it body for draping.
 The mixture of fabrics and quilting plays really well together and emphasize eachother without overpowering one another. Plus it helps to give this little gem a modern vibe too.
I mean seriously... Aren't those guards the cutest ever?!

We originally talked about an argyle type design but the more I looked at the quilt, it was too busy and would compete with the quilt top itself. Quilting should enhance a quilt, not take away from the quilt top. Or at least that's my opinion :)

This quilt actually inspired me to tackle one of my own projects. Come on back tomorrow and I'll show you what I have in mind. The quilt may not actually be quilted by the time the plan posts here on the blog... But hopefully in the near future I'll have it finished!

Thanks, Beth! I love this quilt and I had so much fun working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the conversation going! Leave your comments here:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...