2.09.2013

Book Quilt: Woodland Sunset

This quilt is another one of those lost and rediscovered patterns that I had stashed away in my sketchbook for years. Once again, the design just wasn't working and then I had a little epiphany and it all came together.
Copyrighted Image provided by Martingale, Brent Kane, photographer

When I was ready to choose fabrics for this quilt, I had this crazy idea, but it worked out sooooo well. I was staring at the fabric wall in the quilt shop and I love this in the batiks, but that in the Civil War - so I combined them! There are shirtings mixed with batik basics and prints, with some awesome Jo Morton prints and that batik stripe for the outer border! Yummo! I'm so happy they are making more and more batik stripes.

Now, the hardest part for me with any quilt is naming it. I can tell you what fabrics to make it out of, how to quilt it, but the name always seems to escape my mind. So what do you do when you're stumped? I turned to my friends and asked but it was so hard because I couldn't show a picture of the quilt. I didn't want to give too much away (seeing as how these were all made about a year ago) so I asked something like, "Well, it's kinda rustic and colorful at the same time. Just think woodland sunset." So in my conquest to ask for help, I answered my own question and named this quilt. I'm still blaming the lack of naming creativity on long hours of working and quilting and hardly any sleep for those few months, but it's been worth it!

Woodland Sunset is a small sized wall hanging type quilt made with fat eighths. This quilt is made with a more complex bear paw quilt (remember, more complex does NOT mean harder, just a few more seams is all) and the layout creates something special that I just love about this quilt. But then again, I love all the quilts in the book! This quilt would be great to build piecing skills as well as transition from precut bundles into using up stash fabrics or choosing your own. You can be scrappy, I know it!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Becky! Love the name and the quilt is stunning...as usual. The more I look at it the more tricks it plays on me! Love it. It even goes tumbling blocks 3-D on me! Sandy G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect name for a beautiful quilt!!! Love your fabric choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. woodland sunset
    where did you get the leaf fabric you used in the setting triangles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That fabric was a batik from Laundry Basket (Edyta Sitar) for Moda from a few years ago, I can't remember the name of the line, but it's the same pattern in different colors for both quilts.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just pulled out your 1st book, Seamingly Scrappy and there is your Woodland Sunset pattern. I had a little slip of paper marking the page so I guess now is the time to make one myself.
    Congrats on the 2nd book Seems Like Scrappy. I can hardly wait to order a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just pulled out your 1st book, Seamingly Scrappy and there is your Woodland Sunset pattern. I had a little slip of paper marking the page so I guess now is the time to make one myself.
    Congrats on the 2nd book Seems Like Scrappy. I can hardly wait to order a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What book is this wonderful Woodland Sunset from? And btw, I can hardly wait to get your 2nd book Seems like Scrappy. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete

Keep the conversation going! Leave your comments here:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...